I’m getting rather behind on my Classics Club list, so I hope this little challenge will get me going again. The idea is to choose 20 books remaining on your list, and when the “spin” number is announced, read that book by August. I’ve selected an assortment from all the categories of my list, including some that I find quite intimidating (Midnight’s Children, Don Quixote, Love in the Time of Cholera), and will trust to luck to give me the perfect one that I might not have chosen for myself!
UPDATE: And the spin number is 15, so I’ll be reading Lucky Jim. A campus novel for summer reading sounds perfect.
- The Fledgling – Jane Langton
- White Peak Farm – Berlie Doherty
- Dubliners – James Joyce
- The Ghost of Thomas Kempe – Penelope Lively
- A Sentimental Journey – Laurence Sterne
- The Left Hand of Darkness – Ursula K. LeGuin
- Martin Chuzzlewit – Charles Dickens
- Love – Elizabeth von Arnim
- The Makioka Sisters – Junichiro Tanizaki
- Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
- Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- July’s People – Nadine Gordimer
- My Brilliant Career – Miles Franklin
- Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
- Lucky Jim – Kingsley Amis
- Three Men in a Boat – Jerome K. Jerome
- Excellent Women – Barbara Pym
- Troy Chimneys – Margaret Kennedy
- The Rise of Silas Lapham – William Dean Howells
- Looking Backward – Edward Bellamy
- Don Quixote – Miguel de Cervantes
Have you read any of these? Any on your list?