I’m also pleased to be joining in with Nicole’s Monthly Wrap-up Round-up as a giveaway host! Please visit the link-up to check out all the participating blogs, and then come back here on October 6 for the giveaway post. I’m excited to be offering what I think is one of the best ways out there to “wrap up” your books, and there will be not one but three winners. Do have a go at it.
You’ll notice that I didn’t read quite as many books as usual this month. I attribute that in part to the fact that I spent many hours scaling one of the peaks of world literature, which I hereby name my first Book of the Month (see below). It was long, but worth it; further thoughts to come.
Book of the Month: Anna Karenina
- I looked at three new releases from top authors for children and young adults.
- Girl Waits with Gun was a highly entertaining historical fiction debut from nonfiction writer Amy Stewart.
- Is That a Fish in Your Ear? Translation and the Meaning of Everything turned out to be a fascinating read for language lovers.
Other Books Read
- Symphony for the City of the Dead by MT Anderson – Review to come
- The Stolen Lake and Dangerous Games by Joan Aiken – Ongoing reread of the Wolves Chronicles, review to come
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy – Review to come
- The Serial Garden by Joan Aiken – Review to come in Shiny New Books
- The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse by Piu Marie Eatwell – Review to come
Other Features and Events
- I’m joining in the R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) challenge for the first time. So far I’ve enjoyed Girl Waits With Gun and The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse. How about you?
- The Nonfiction Book Club this month is reading The Sixth Extinction. I got a late start and have just dipped into it, but the discussion is very interesting (not to mention sobering).
Favorite Posts from Other Bloggers
I’ve moved this topic to my new monthly “Link Love” post. Here I hope to highlight some of the great bookish links I’ve come across lately, as well as my favorite blog posts. Check it out!